It’s been a few days but I’ve been hard at work with the foam. Keeping up with the “let’s do the smaller bits first” I decided to work on the lower-ab/groin protection armor. In past Halo games this armor has been part of the belt/cod piece but in Halo 4 the Spartan-IV armor is a little bit more minimalized there’s no belt. There’s just the hip protection, tailbone armor and cod piece. And the cod piece is extended to the lower ab and, depending on the armor you use, connects to the ab plate.
Anyways, here’s a couple of reference pictures before we get started. A head on shot and then the Recon (which is what I’m aiming at).
Looks easy enough right? Well, it took me a few tries before I got something I liked.
More after the jump…
Second part of this week I worked on creating the Halo 4 Recon ab armor. Here’s my main reference image (it’s the small sucker on the bottom):
Pretty simple design. So like with the hand guards and the tailbone armor, we decided to create our own ab plate template.
More on putting this together after the jump… Continue reading
Quick update today. Last night I created the handguards for the Halo 4 suit.
Like everything else, there were several handguard options. In game it changes with the forearm. I went through those options and wasn’t blown away by any of them. The main one has this Micky Mouse glove look to it:
But hey, it’s a handguard so who cares, right? Anyways, I took this lack of exciting armor to come up with my own idea. I was watching Batman: The Animated Series while sketching a few ideas so…
That was Sunday night. Last night I went and made a more accurate design with three basic layers — a large hectagon as the base, a skinnier one on top of that, and a wide “batsignal”/warped-H as the top.
More after the jump… Continue reading
So my EVA foam came in the other day. Wohoo! Means I can start with the fun and experimental process of building Halo armor out of foam. I say experimental because I’ve never used EVA foam before for costuming or armor building. I tried the cardstock paper/Pepakura method and lots of people get amazing results with it but I had a few issues with it:
1) So many tabs
2) Easily warps
3) Can’t easily customize the size
4) If you screw up, ooops…
5) I live in a small Boston apartment. No room to do the resining and bondoing, etc.
Foam, on the other hand, is a bit more to my taste. I can customize each piece to fit me the way I’m built and not try to force a presized file to fit me with scaling. Also, if I screw up I can easily just cut that piece out again or reshape it as needed, depending on the issue. And since the foam is already pretty rigid it’s a lot easier to finalize. So those are my thoughts on that.
Over the weekend, the girlfriend and I decided to take on a simple and easier looking part of the Halo 4 armor first — the tailbone armor. I found some great Pepakura files for the tailbone armor on the 405th and tried turning that file into something I could then use with foam via TheSuperHeroTutorials vids. but even after following Stealth’s ideas that butt piece was still to complicated to turn from paper, so we decided to just draft our own pattern ourselves. Here’s a screencap from the game of what we were aiming for:
Note: There are different tailbone/butt armor in the game. It changes when you change the leg armor, so play around and find the one you like for foam crafting.
More after the jump… Continue reading
Thanks for stumbling across this blog. I’m embarking on an attempt to build Halo 4 armor out of EVA foam and an undersuit to go along with it.
I’m on the 405th Forums as theTavernKnight. I give quick updates on how everything is going on there, but here I’ll get into more detail for people that want to really follow along and see how things are going.
To the left is roughly what I’m aiming at, though the shins and forearms might get tweaked depending on my mood. I’d love to do the Halo 4 recon helmet and torso. Currently, there’s no Pepakura files for those so I’ll wait to do those pieces last. If there’s no files made by the time I get that far I’ll have to try to do it from scratch which is a bit daunting, but not impossible.
I’m also working on an undersuit to go with this. Luckily, I have plenty of sewing experience so the undersuit won’t be too much of a problem except for the neck which I’m sure will be very much a trial & error deal so it’ll sit correctly and not slip down, yet is comfortable to wear. The undersuit will be made out of a mix of tool mesh, stretchy fabric and leather. More on this in a later post.
Also looking to create some foam weapons while I”m at it. On the roster is the Magnum, DMR and BR — my favorite loadouts. Maybe I’ll work on creating a glowing sticky while I’m at it for fun.
The fabric swatches have been ordered to finalize color/shade and material. A bunch of EVA foam sheets also ordered so I can start working on the armor once it comes in. And I’m off the the craft store to pick up some craft foam and other supplies.
That’s it for now. I’ve started drafting the undersuit pattern and worked on the torso mock up. I’ll do a post on that shortly.